- 330 grams Rangitikei Free Range skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons gochujang chilli paste or other chilli paste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup potato flour
- sea salt and ground pepper
- vegetable oil for cooking
- good-quality egg mayonnaise
- gochujang or other chilli sauce
- 6 bao buns, steamed and warm
- pickled chillies
- Quick Pickled Red Onion (see recipe below)
Quick Pickled Red Onion (gf) (v)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Leave for 30 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain before using. Onions will keep for 1 week in the fridge.
Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Place in a large bowl with all the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and chill for 2-24 hours. Remove from the fridge 1 hour before cooking.
Heat 4cm of oil in a wok or a deep, medium-sized saucepan until a small piece of bread dropped in turns golden in 30 seconds.
Put the potato flour in a bowl and season well. Drain the chicken, then coat in flour, shaking off the excess. Cook for about 2 minutes each side until golden and fully cooked. Drain on a rack set over a baking tray in a warm oven until all the chicken is cooked.
Marble a little mayo and gochujang or other chilli sauce together and spread on both sides of the buns. Fill with the chicken, pickled chillies, Quick Pickled Red Onion and coriander and serve immediately.